Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Matterhorn and Momma Bear


This is the last of our posts about our Switzerland trip last fall. It's a little embarrassing posting this so late, but this is our family journal and scrapbook and we wanted this experience documented. We spent a day hiking in and around Zermatt, which is the village just below the Matterhorn. It is a “car-freevillage. There are several ways of getting there; bike (which Kevin really wanted to do, but it was deemed too dangerous by many locals....we even brought our bikes with us), train, or taxi. We opted for a taxi which was about the same price as taking the train for our family of five.
Upon arriving into Zermatt, we went straight to the information booth and asked how to get the best views of the Matterhorn. We were told that wecould take a train that went to the top of the mountain which provided an excellent view. It was called the Gornergrat Bahn. It was very expensive (around 170 euros for the whole family to take the train) but we rationalized the expense with, "How often does one get to Zermatt?" So we went for it. The views were beautiful and the weather was fabulous.



I have a little bit of an "Elastic Girl Hand" thing going on here...must be the wide angle lens.





Our feeble attempt at a family photo with a Matterhorn backdrop--thanks to a random hiker passing by.


There are hiking trails which will lead you all the way down to the bottom. We weren't sure that the kids would be quite up for that, so we took the train down couple of stops from the top and hiked around. They loved playing on the rocks and it was a gorgeous day.



Lauren is our little model and she loves to pose.



After we had our fill of hiking, we took the train down the mountain back to Zermatt. We enjoyed a little downtime at the local park. Our kids loved playing on the zip line. It was here that I had an unpleasant encounter with a 10 year-old French girl. She grew impatient of waiting for each of our children to take a turn on zip line before she was up. Giving up as she walked away, she muttered in English, "Stupid Americans".


I was shocked. Was she talking about us? Yep, we were the only ones using English as far as I could tell. We've heard rumors about the French general distain for Americans, but I had never expereienced it personally. Now, I'm not sure if she was French-French or Swiss-French, but my blood was boiling at this point. How kind I thought for her to use our native language to let us know how she felt about us. I just kept thinking....hmm....where has SHE heard that phrase before? (With hind sight, she was probably just being 10 years-old and wanting to look cool infront of her friends.)


However, at the time I was thinking, "If you mess with the cubs, you will see the Momma Bear." That is a promise. My children were completely innocent (this time anyways). So I followed that delightful little lady over to the swings and when she turned around to face me, I looked her right in the eye and said, "We are NOT stupid Americans." Brilliant I know. It was a surreal experience. I am not usually one to seek confrontation. In fact, I try to avoid it at all costs. But here I was, about to have it out with a fourth-grader.


I went on to tell her that just because she was frustrated and didn't want to wait her turn, that didn't give her the right to call names and use mean words. I seriously have to also add that it was not like we were hogging the zip line for any extended length of time. Each child took one ride and then ran the rope back to the next child waiting for their turn. After I let her know I felt, we went back to taking turns on the zip line...



Anyone else a Momma Bear?



Zermatt, Switzerland

17 comments:

Amy said...

Yeah!!! A new post! I love that you are having such a fantastic time over there. I'm a little jealous actually! I am so proud of you standing up for your family. I can see me doing the same thing, maybe you taught that little miss a lesson!(?) I certainly hope so! Love you!!!

Ashley said...

Way to go Marnie!!!! I love that you can teach them what is what! I still remember Kevin telling me when I came to visit, that if I did anything stupid to just say sorry with an English accent!!! Hahaha Love the pictures!!!

La said...

First, I love Zermat. One of my favorite places, ever. Second, let's here for all the momma bears? I am right there with you.

Angie said...

Hey sweet friend. I love seeing your new post and all that yall are getting to do. Wonderful pictures and good girl for being a momma bear. I'm right there with you.

Unknown said...

You go momma bear! Obviously someone had to teach this little frenchy some manners, she hasn't learned them at home or elsewhere. I am a strong believer that it is our duty and privelidge to teach our children values and, where necessary, our responsibility to stand up for them as well. Momma bears unite!

I alos LOVE the pictures, by the way! BEAUTIFUL! I cannot wait for our trip! We are so excited to see you guys and take in all the sites!

Krista said...

You know I am a mama bear with Jenna! I am proud of you for standing up to the girl. We need more of that, maybe then kids will show some respect...but if they think they can get away with it. wonderful that you got to visit the Matterhorn. Memories...

Ashlee said...

SO FUNNY! Love the pics Marnie. Thank you for sharing. Sorry I have not been around for awhile. You guys have the best camera. The kids look so great! You guys look great also. eyeseemiracles.blogspot.com is my blog, but I am not very good at making it pretty like you are. I am still working on it.

The kids will be forever thankful they had such an amazing experience in Europe.

Jessica the Jacked LDS said...

u are seriously the cutest mamma i've ever seen.

Emily Snow said...

I'm so glad you let Momma Bear come out...she needed to. I want to hear more about this story. I want to hear about the girl's response to you.

Brittany said...

how funny! yes, I'm a momma bear!! I haven't had an experience like that but I'm sure I would have reacted in the same way! :) unfortunately I had several bad experiences like that with the French when I was there visiting in college. Anyway, cute pictures! I also visited Zermatt and took the train to the top. What an awesome experience!!

Mindy said...

Oh, I would love to have all of these amazing experiences you are having! So beautiful. And that zip line looks so fun. Why don't we have parks like that here?! And I totally know what you mean about the momma bear thing. Somehow, Griff can just let that kind of thing go, but I can't. It sounds like you handled it great though. I'll bet that little French girl will think twice before calling Americans stupid again...

Melanie Anne said...

Wow--that is amazing that you are the real matterhorn--the only one we know is Disneyland variety:) I love to share your experiences thru this blog! You are the sweetest Mom--and good job being the Momma bear!! You got to do that sometimes! Love you Marnie!!

Kabe 'n Dave said...

We love reading about all your adventures! We can't believe you guys have almost been there a year already. Where does the time go? Love you guys! Tons of hugs and kisses to the kids!

Jan S said...

I loved all the pictures (older posts too). It is fun to keep up on your life. Miss you!
Aunt Jan

Erin said...

Wow, that a fun post to read. It sounds like such a great trip! And i totally understand with how her comment made your blood boil - that comment was totally unsolicited when your children were being sweet and happy. Anyway, I'm glad you were able to enjoy the trip!

Heather said...

Interesting! There are 2 insults going on here, a little girl was rude to your kids and also rude to your country. So it brought out 2 feelings of momma bear. I would like to think I would have said something, but being that I am pretty wimpy with confrontation, I am not sure what I would have done. Awesome story though! Way to be! I will remember this when I am faced with a similar situation and tell myself, "If Marnie can do, so can I."

mid said...

https://finansial.bisnis.com/read/20170207/55/626608/tips-finansial-ingin-usaha-tapi-modal-minim-manfaatkan-3-hal-ini