Sunday, January 31, 2010

Key Lime Cupcakes


Kevin and I are going on almost 5 weeks of NO sugar. So of course I am dreaming about my first indulgence. It might have to be one of these little guys.. Key Lime cupcake recipe (printable version) from Bon Appetit. It looks so tasty that I had to share. If you get to try it before I do, be sure to let me know how fabulous it is.


KEY LIME CUPCAKES
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup self-rising flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon finely grated lime peel
1/4 teaspoon neon-green food coloring
3/4 cup buttermilk

FROSTING
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon finely grated lime peel
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preparation

CUPCAKES
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line standard muffin pan with 12 paper liners. Whisk both flours in medium bowl. Beat butter in large bowl until smooth. Add sugar; beat to blend. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then next 3 ingredients (batter may look curdled). Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with buttermilk in 2 additions. Spoon scant 1/3 cup batter into each liner.
Bake cupcakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool.

FROSTING
Beat all ingredients in medium bowl until smooth. Spread over cupcakes

9 comments:

Spencer and Amy Shumway said...

So how are your feeling with no sugar. That is a long time. I don't think I could do it.

Raenbows and Mud Puddles said...

Key Lime Cupcakes are seriously my FAVORITE in the world.

&& I am proud of you guys!

Christy said...

Oh my gosh. I am salivating just reading the ingredients. Why no sugar though for only a certain time? Is it a special diet? Or you just decided to try it? And how long for? Yum, yum. I might try these.

Yulia said...

No sugar?? Oh come on, sugar is good for you! :)

Kitty said...

ooooooooooh, looks good!

Unknown said...

Oh YUMMY!!! I am definatly trying out that recipe, as soon as I am up on my feet again. Ohhh I cannot wait!

Heather said...

We made these tonight for FHE and they were very good. I liked the cupcake part, more moist and dense and the frosting, well, YUM!

Jess ♥ said...

These sound so good! i want to try baking some! :)

Melanie Anne said...

Wow--no sugar for 5 weeks!! That is will power! Good job! These do sound divine! Yum!