Thursday, January 14, 2010

Hiking in the Swiss Alps


Kevin and I have always loved the outdoors and hiking so we were excited to take our children on their first "big" hike up the Ferpecle Valley to a glacier field.





Here's the crew; happy and excited for our hike.


Just about there....you can see the glacier in the background. The kids did amazingly well for what was estimated to be a seven-mile round trip hike.


These funny trail markers would show up sporadically; especially once we left the lush trail and entered the rocky terrain.




Proudly displying their chipped "ice" from the glacier.


Ava was so worn out that the minute I took her out of the backpack, she snuggled into my chest and promptly fell asleep. Kevin and the kids continued up to the glacier while I sat down and enjoyed cuddling my youngest. There was a roaring river in front of me and beyond that I could see the back side of the Matterhorn. Every once in while the sun would peek through the clouds and light would dance on the water. As I sat there, I was in complete awe of the majesty and beauty of nature. It was deadly silent except for the roaring of the river and my slumbering baby who every once in awhile would snortle and resettle herself. I was again reassured, as I have been many times in the past, that there is a God and that He created all of this. This beauty, this wonder, this majesty all for US that we might find joy.
A perfect day.

8 comments:

Jonny said...

I miss those hikes in Switzerland. I've gotta' get back some day.

Rachel Holloway said...

What a wonderful trip! Your little hikers look too cute! :) I am so glad you are taking advantage of all the wonderful adventures that await you there! What an awesome experience!

Jared Crookston said...

Those little rock piles are called Cairns. The Uintahs are filled with them as well.

Sterzers said...

Wow that looks beautiful!!! Looks like you guys are having fun adventures! You all look great and we miss you all tons!!! It's fun to be able to see what fun things you are up to!

Amy said...

That does sound like an awesome day! Fun pictures!

Angie said...

Oh what wonderful experiences. They all look so happy now. I'm glad.

Unknown said...

Oh wow! It looks like and sounds like the most perfect day! Thanks for sharing!

Melanie Anne said...

Oh what a beautiful outing!1 It sounds wonderful!!